[BioC] Help using biomaRt

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jan 28 14:55:42 CET 2009

Looking back over this thread, it appears you got a lot of responses,
for which you graciously thanked the responders. The only question I see
that wasn't answered was at the end of an extremely long post in which
you seemed to want to show your thinking when using biomaRt.

I think this was the problem. Most people don't have the time to read
all that, and probably don't care to know what worked for you. A short
message showing what you tried and the unexpected result would suffice.
As would reading the error message and trying to think what it might mean.

You got

Error in getBM(attnames, filters = filtnames, values = affyids, mart =
mart) :
   Query ERROR: caught BioMart::Exception::Usage: Attributes from
multiple attribute pages are not allowed

after adding one new attribute. I don't know what this means, really,
but it would appear that you can't mix ensembl_exon_id with the other
attributes.

 > results3<-getBM("ensembl_exon_id", filters=filtnames, values=affyids,
mart=mart)
 > results3
       ensembl_exon_id
1  ENSMUSE00000614004
2  ENSMUSE00000704983
3  ENSMUSE00000641393
4  ENSMUSE00000617038
5  ENSMUSE00000617037
6  ENSMUSE00000617036
7  ENSMUSE00000560065
[snip]

I understand your frustration with biomaRt. When I first started using
it, I was frustrated as well. It's pretty complicated, but quite
powerful as well. As with all software there is a learning curve, and
there is no substitute for experience, and that only comes from trial
and error.

Best,

Jim