[BioC] present/absent on 2-color oligo arrays

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sat Jan 31 00:11:52 CET 2009

I have been having an on-going discussion with a colleague about
whether he can say that some genes are "absent" in some tissues based
on two-color microarrays - most recently, Agilent arrays.  There are
a number of reasons that he would like to do this which are a mix of
biology and QC.

He wants to use some (arbitrary) normalized expression level, or
unnormalized level above local background or a percentile of the
whole array background or ...

Any suggestions for papers about this?  (We can both think of a dozen
ways to do it, but without experiments to see if they are valid
methods, or at least a paper to
cite, I am reluctant to put the statistical seal of approval on any of them.)

Thanks,  Naomi

p.s. In case anyone thinks that high-throughput sequencing is going
to end this type of discussion, have a look at the interesting paper
by 't Hoen comparing sequencing and microarray
results.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=18927111

Associate Professor
University Park, PA 16802-2111