[BioC] Filter before? Filter after? With maanova

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon Jul 6 18:43:32 CEST 2009

Hi Loren,
  The only results that I am aware of suggest that using non-specific
filtering (as described in the Case Studies book, and a hopefully soon
to appear paper) is in general of benefit.
   Filtering after you fit a model is not appropriate - at that point
you must rely on what ever form of p-value adjustment you prefer.

   best wishes
     Robert

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Loren Engrav<engrav at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I have 10,000 probe sets that I am processing with mixed linear regression
> and the maanova package
> I can filter in various ways, ie does human expression match porcine
> expression?, and reduce the number of probe sets
> Is it more valid to filter before doing the regression, or after?
> Thank you
> --
> Loren Engrav, MD
> Univ Washington