[BioC] topGO "under-represented" GO terms?

jiayu wen jiayu.jean.wen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 14:46:01 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I am using topGO (elim) to find overrepresented GO terms (below is 3
example output terms). I am confused with the output "significant" and
"expected". So if "significant"  < "expected" (in the case of "
cellular process" and "cellular metabolic proces") , does it mean the
GO terms are "under-represented"? whereas if "significant"  <
"expected" (cell cycle) means those terms are overrepresented? If so,
does topGO always reports "under-represented" GO terms as well? or I
completely misunderstand it...

Biological Process:
     GO.ID                             Term						Annotated	Significant
Expected	elim
     GO:0009987                 cellular process      			8686		42
			 50.55		 2.1e-06
     GO:0007049                 cell cycle					278			5			1.62		0.00031
     GO:0044237                 cellular metabolic process	4985		19
29.01		0.01706

Could some one help me to explain it.
Thank you very much,

Jean