[BioC] A question on variance adjustment of HTS plates

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Jul 18 23:04:37 CEST 2009

Dear Rajarshi

are you sure that you have the variance adjustment right? Simply
dividing by the scale estimator (MAD) is not correct, you need to
subtract the location estimator (e.g. median) first. Please check any
statistics textbook on the topic of "z-scores" or "standardisation" for
more on this.

To decide whether the variance adjustment (or indeed, any other choice
of preprocessing options) did well, please assess on the results from
control wells, and from genes whose role in your assay of interest is known.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

--

Best wishes