[BioC] Statistics for next-generation sequencing transcriptomics

John Herbert j.m.herbert at bham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 13:45:36 CEST 2009

Hello Michael.
Thanks for giving me the chance, I hope, to say something remotely useful here for onece.
Firstly, we have recently developed a likelihood ratio statistics for looking at differential expression between two grops cDNA libraries which are effectively the same as comparing Illumina transcriptome libraries. It employs a FDR procedure q-value (Storey, Benjamini and Hochberg) for multiple testing. I don't know if 100% it will solve your problem but it accounts for different cDNA library sizes and is worth a go. The paper is here:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/9/153

A link to a website that lets you download a Perl script to run these analyses is here:
http://sara.molbiol.ox.ac.uk/userweb/jherbert/
Choose the StandAlone_MultiDiff and run the Perl script locally, preferably on some flavour of unix/linux. If you have any problems with it, I am happy to help.

I think one other thing to remember is, that gene transcripts are different sizes and the sequencing from Illumina, if I am talking about the same thing, are not generated from one part of the transcript. So a shorter transcript will appear to be expressed more in your library as the RNA is fragmented, and as such, it will look like you are getting more copies expressed. There is a publication where they divided each counts for a transcript by the length of a transcript but I don't know if this is the most valid way to deal with it. If your Illumina libraries are just NGS SAGE libraries, then you don't have to worry about this and you will be fine with the above statistics.

Sorry if this is meant to be an R/Bioconductor area only but I thought it may help Michael.

Kind regards,

John.

=================================
Bioinformatics Officer

Molecular Angiogenesis group
First Floor, Institute of Biomedical Research
The University of Birmingham
Medical School
Edgbaston
Birmingham