[BioC] How to use GEOquery to extract more than the default information from a GSE

James F. Reid james.reid at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Fri Jul 24 15:38:31 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'more than default information'.

Using GEOquery can be a bit complicated if the GEO series (GSE) contains
multiple platforms, but in your case you're fine because there is only one.

If you can get a complete ExpressionSet which stores samples annotation,
platform annotation and expression values by doing:

library("GEOquery")
gse <- getGEO("GSE9820")
names(gse)
##[1] "GSE9820_series_matrix.txt.gz"
gse[[1]]

which prints out:
ExpressionSet (storageMode: lockedEnvironment)
assayData: 20589 features, 153 samples
   element names: exprs
phenoData
   sampleNames: GSM247703, GSM247704, ..., GSM247855  (153 total)
   varLabels and varMetadata description:
     title: NA
     geo_accession: NA
     ...: ...
     data_row_count: NA
     (33 total)
featureData
   featureNames: ILMN_10000, ILMN_10001, ..., ILMN_9999  (20589 total)
   fvarLabels and fvarMetadata description:
     ID: NA
     GB_ACC: NA
     ...: ...
     SYNONYM: NA
     (6 total)
   additional fvarMetadata: Column, Description
experimentData: use 'experimentData(object)'
Annotation: GPL6255

fvarLabels(gse[[1]])
[1] "ID"         "GB_ACC"     "SYMBOL"     "DEFINITION" "ONTOLOGY"
[6] "SYNONYM"

contains all the information for the platform, varLabels will give you
the labels of the sample information and you can get to the expression
values by means of exprs(gse[[1]]).

HTH,
J.