[BioC] Limma lmFit function and spot quality weights

Benoit benoit.loup at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Jul 27 13:41:06 CEST 2009

Hello,
I'm using Limma to assess differential expression on double colour
microarray data and have a question about the lmFit function.
When I fit linear model using lmFit, as I understood, the function uses
the weights extracted from the MA object when present and/or specified.
Thus, I tried fitting with and without the spot quality weights and I
found different results (not very surprising in fact).
In fact, when I used weights, zero weighted spots seemed to be removed
from the analysis and it's here that I have a problem.

For my experiment, I compare two groups (control vs treated) in a
classical design experiment "Two Groups: Common Reference" as describe
in the Limma documentation.

design=modelMatrix(targets,ref="ref")
design
fit=lmFit(MA,design,weights=MA$weights)
/alternative without weights : fit=lmFit(MA,design,weights=NULL)/
cont.matrix=makeContrasts(pollutedVScontrol=polluted-control,polluted,control,levels=design)
cont.matrix
fit2=contrasts.fit(fit,cont.matrix)
fit2=eBayes(fit2)
res=toptable(coef=1,number=15744,fit=fit2,genelist=fit2$genes,adjust.method="BH",A=fit2$Amean,eb=fit2,p.value=0.01)

The difference between the analysis with and without weights is that
when I use weights new genes highly differentially expressed appeared.
When I control these genes, in fact they correspond to spots that are
flagged (0) on the majority of the arrays (i.e. only one weight at 1 for
the control and one weight at 1 for the treated). Thus for these genes
the comparison is performed only one "control array" versus one "treated
array".
So is it possible to specify to lmFit that there must be a minimum of
"1" weights or a maximum "0" weights per groups of array ?

Thank you for any help you can bring me.

Benoit

--
Benoit Loup, PhD
UMR Biologie du Développement et Reproduction

Tel: 33 1 34 65 25 38
Fax: 33 1 34 65 22 41
E-mail: benoit.loup at jouy.inra.fr