[BioC] Error message, when updating packages

Thu Jun 25 17:12:30 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

On Jun 25, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Michael Walter wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I tried to update my bioconductor packages under R2.8.1 and got
> following error message: "Error: Indexing out of bounds". The same
> error occured when I installed R2.9.0 and tried to install
> Bioconductor and when I try to install individual packages. However,
> on a different computer everything still works fine. I tried
> different CRAN mirrors with the same result. Does anyone has any
> suggestions?

This is weird, a few things:

1. Instead of just giving the sessionInfo() results, could you rather
show what happens when you run:

source('http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R')
biocLite('Biobase')

(I only choose Biobase since it seems to have minimal dependencies and
will show an error message rather quickly, but you can try any other
package that you're trying to install as well)

2. Does this only happen when you install bioconductor packages? What
if you install some other R package, like:

install.packages('gplots')

3. You're talking about installing bioconductor packages, so what do
CRAN mirrors have to do with it (these two are orthogonal, no? (unless
your BioC package has some CRAN dependencies?))

4. Is there perhaps some hidden .R* files that are being loaded when
you fire up R that might be messing things up. Eg: check if there is
an .RData or .Rhistory file in your current working directory and move
them out (or cd into another directory) before firing up R.
Alternatively do an `ls()` when you load R and see if there's
something floating around in your workspace that you can subsequently
remove [via: rm(list=ls())] before you do your bioconductor installs.

Honestly I don't really know what's causing this, so just taking a few
stabs in the dark.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology