[BioC] Possible to set alternative colnames on read.flowSet (flowCore)

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Sat Mar 7 01:50:49 CET 2009

Hi Aric,
sorry, I thought you wanted to change the sample names based on a
keyword. Wasn't reading carefully enough...
There is no switch to do this during data import, but you can always use
the colnames<- replace method to alter the colnames of a flowSet (and
also of all the flowFrames in the set).

One way of getting the keywords out is this (assuming that foo is your
flowSet):
keyword(foo[[1]], function(x) keyword(x, grep("\\$P[0-9]*S",
names(description(x)), value=TRUE)))

Or, even simpler
colnames(foo) <- pData(parameters(foo[[1]]))$desc

If you think that this is an important enough use case I can add an
option to read.FCS that allows to chose a PnS to be used as colnames,
however this might introduce more trouble than it is worth since only
PnN is guaranteed to be unique for each channel, and is has to be in
order to work as a colname.
Florian

--
Florian Hahne, PhD