[BioC] Problem with biomaRt and retrieving annotation for the chip "affy_huex_1_0_st_v2"

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Mar 11 18:15:32 CET 2009

Hi Nenad,

Please don't take things off list. The list archives are intended to be a resource of questions and answers for others to use.

I am not sure why you are doing the query that you show. Do you _really_ want to get everything on that chip? That is a huge amount of data, which is not ideal for an interactive web-based query system. In general the idea is to use biomaRt to get annotations for some set of probesets that are interesting for some reason. So for instance, this works:

> tst <- getBM("affy_huex_1_0_st_v2", "ensembl_gene_id", "ENSG00000146556", mart)
> tst
   affy_huex_1_0_st_v2
1              3612188
2              2390573
3              2501592
4              3674797
5              3195860
6              2501576
7              3612191
8              3612192
9              3195888
10             2501594
11             3612187
12             2501583
<snip>

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab
5912 Buhl
1241 E. Catherine St.
Ann Arbor MI 48109-5618
734-615-7826
>>> Nenad Bartonicek <nbartonicek at gmail.com> 03/11/09 9:09 AM >>>
Hi Jim,

Thank you for a quick reply. I did try with
 >data=getBM(attributes="affy_huex_1_0_st_v2",value=T, mart=ensembl)
Error in postForm(paste(martHost(mart), "?", sep = ""), query =
xmlQuery) :
   transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining

and it is the same thing.

When I use other arrays it is ok. For example:
 >data=getBM(attributes="affy_hugene_1_0_st_v1", mart=ensembl)
 > head(data)
   affy_hugene_1_0_st_v1
1               8165646
2               8165644