[BioC] Problems with clValid: "fanny unable to find clusters"

"Jörg Linde" Edd17 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 16:02:53 CET 2009

Hello,

I have been working a lot with the clValid package lately. I find it a really helpful, well written and documented package. However, I ran into a problem and hope someone can help me:

Using this command:
"
clust=clValid(obj=matrix,nClust=2:8,validation=c("internal", "stability"),metric ="euclidean", method ="average",neighbSize = 10,maxitems =dim(matrix)[1], clMethods = c("fanny"))"

I receive the following messages:

Warning messages:
1: In vClusters(mat, clMethods[i], nClust, validation = validation,  :
  fanny unable to find 4 clusters, returning NA for these validation measures
2: In vClusters(mat, clMethods[i], nClust, validation = validation,  :
  fanny unable to find 5 clusters, returning NA for these validation measures

...(repeats until 8 clusters)
There are no fuzzy clusters computed for k=4..8
However, using fanny directly there is no warning message at all (the same for k=4..8):
fanny(x=matrix,k=5,metric ="euclidean",maxit = 500)

Note that maxit=500 is the standard and not reached for any of the clusters.
Interestingly using metric ="correlation" reports no warnings for clValid.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks a lot
Jörg