[BioC] About Volcano Plot

Thomas Hampton Thomas.H.Hampton at Dartmouth.edu
Sat May 9 16:03:28 CEST 2009

It isn't too hard to make your own volcano, and I do it
all the time. You may find it easier to just use the R
plot command like this rather than trying to wangle something in
your bioconductor package:

plot(M, -log10(P), pch = '.')

assuming M is your vector of log2 fold differences and P
is a vector of whatever you prefer as a significance measure.

A very nice thing about doing it yourself is that you can then
highlight a set of genes that interest you:

points(M[interesting], -log10(P[interesting]), col = "red", pch = 16)

Of course you can add all sorts of labels in the plot command.

Tom