[BioC] Upgrading R

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon May 11 15:16:52 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:47 AM, arnaud Le Cavorzin <arnaudlc at msn.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes you can do it, read the R FAQ on the cran website.
>
> I quote it :
>

> "That's a matter of taste.  For most people the best thing to do is to
> uninstall R (see the previous Q), install the new version, copy any
> installed packages to the library folder in the new installation, run
> update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE) in the new R and then
> delete anything left of the old installation.  Different versions of R
> are quite deliberately installed in parallel folders so you can keep old
> versions around if you wish.

  well, for Bioconductor, since we bump all version numbers at each
release, the net effect is that all Bioconductor packages will be
reinstalled. Users may save a little bit of downloading doing this.
Also, for Bioconductor you need to be careful to ensure that your
repositories are set correctly so that update.packages finds the
Bioconductor one - which is why we prefer that users simply use the
directions posted on the Bioconductor site and reinstall at each
upgrade of R.

  best wishes
    Robert

rgentlem at fhcrc.org