[BioC] R2.10 and BioC 2.5 where to report bugs?

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Tue May 26 00:14:35 CEST 2009

Paul,
To address your first issue, the choice of (stable) release quality
vs. (unstable) development quality software depends on circumstance.
The former tends to be recommended for end users who would like to use
established portions of the software or need to be able to audit their
analyses. The latter tends to be recommended for end users who would
like to use parts of the software that is undergoing active
development or developers who are working on software components of
their own for the next release.

In general, you should contact the package maintainer if you find any
issues with their packages in BioC 2.5 (devel). Just make sure you
follow the standard reporting procedure: 1) ensure you are using the
latest version of their package and its dependencies, 2) provide a
reproducible example, and 3) supply a printout of the sessionInfo().

If you are using the relatively new sequence analysis infrastructure
(IRanges/Biostrings/BSgenome/ShortRead/etc.) and believe there is an
issue of debate over what has been implemented and what you consider
to be best practices, you can post your issue to the Bioc-sig-seq
mailing list. A number of BioC developers are striving to make
Bioconductor as prominent in the sequence analyses space as it is in
the microarray analyses space and the more user feedback we get, the
stronger our offering can be.

Patrick