[BioC] R2.10 and BioC 2.5 where to report bugs?

Paul Leo p.leo at uq.edu.au
Fri May 29 03:59:14 CEST 2009

HI Herve,
Many thanks, I was missing the tek8.5-dev , as suggested, on recompile
it is all working fine.  Bioconductor was installed as you suggested,
all good.

I see now from the BioMaRt emails that my first question is answered
too!... this is the problem I had encountered at the time.

Thanks again
Paul

Hi Paul,

Paul Leo wrote:
> 2 quick questions
>
> 1)
> So I recent decided to stick with the subversion R2.10 and to recompile
> weekly and use BioC2.5. (linux-ubuntu) Sometimes, as I guess maybe
> expected, I get errors in various libraries .... Not sure is that is a
> "Good idea" or what others do..
>
> Dumb question, is there a different mailing list where these errors
> should be reported or are those reported here ...  given they are on the
> development version....
>
> 2)
> PS I have an irritating problem with tcltk...
> does anyone with ubuntu know if the tcl8.5 and tcl8.5-dev libraries are
> all that should  are required to fix this?
>
> pleo at BIOINFORM01-ubuntu:/media/Bioinform-D/Research/R.packages
> $ /home/pleo/R_latest/bin/R CMD INSTALL --clean tcltk2_1.0-8.tar.gz

Note that it's almost always a bad idea to install packages this way.
For Bioconductor packages, we highly recommend you use biocLite() as
explained here:

   http://bioconductor.org/docs/install/

This method will handle the dependencies for you -- and BioC packages
tend to have a lot! (Note that biocLite() also works for installing CRAN
packages.)

Otherwise I confirm what Laurent Gatto said before: you need tk-dev on
Ubuntu. After you've installed it, you need to reinstall R (configure + make).
Don't forget to include the recommended packages (I think tcltk is one
of them) before you do 'configure + make'. There is no need to install
tcltk2_1.0-8.tar.gz separately.
When you are done, start R and check capabilities(). Then library(tcltk)...

Cheers,
H.