[BioC] QCparameters for Human Exon arrays (arrayQualityMetrics)

Gard Thomassen g.o.s.thomassen at studmed.uio.no
Mon Nov 2 07:46:19 CET 2009

Hi.

I am trying to get the arrayQualityMetrics package to run on a set of
CEL files from the Human Exon array from Affymetrix

My problems begin when I want to run the arrayQualityMetrics function
and it gives the following error message :

running R 2.9.2 and bioconductor version 2.4

 >library(affy)
 >library(simpleaffy)
 >ibrary(arrayQualityMetrics)
 >ecesbatch<-read.affybatch("H1.CEL", "H2.CEL", "H3.CEL", "H4.CEL",
"H5.CEL", "H6.CEL", "H7.CEL", "H8.CEL", "H9.CEL", "H10.CEL",
"H11.CEL", "H12.CEL", "H13.CEL", "H14.CEL", "H15.CEL", "H16.CEL")

## attach cdf to expr set
ecesbatch at cdfName <- "exon.pmcdf" ## this is a cdf file from the XMAP
website

#Check the name is correct for the cdf file (unneccessary)
 > cdfname <- cleancdfname(cdfName(ecesbatch))
 > cdfname
[1] "exon.pmcdf"

 >arrayQualityMetrics(expressionset = ecesbatch,outdir =
"output",force = TRUE,do.logtransform = TRUE)

This cmd runs for a very long time and generates a bunch of .pdfs
and .pngs and an empty QCReport.html file.
And R says there is an error sonce the arrayQualityMetrics package
does not know the QCparameters of this chip.

I have found an instruction from C. Miller (one of the persons behind
simpleaffy) about how use the three functions provided by the
simpleaffy package, or to make the needed .qcdf file:
I need alpha values (that is okay) and I need control and spike
probeIDs.

I am using the Human Exon array 1.0 from affymetrix, and I do not know
what to fill in in the .qcdf file,
anyone who knows how to get by this problem?
Trying to get the probenames to set the values I ran into another
problem..

 > prbs <- ls(cdfname)
Error in as.environment(pos) :
   no item called "exon.pmcdf" on the search list

crashes like this shown here.

Please if anyone knows or has an idea, basicly what I need is
the .qcdf file for the HUman Exon array from Affy.
Best regards
Gard

Gard Thomassen
Ph.D student CMBN, Rikshospitalet, Oslo
Bioinformatician, Radiumhospitalet, Oslo
Norway
Email : gardt at ifi.uio.no
Office: + 47 22781736
Phone +47 93674926