[BioC] how to do it with biomaRt

Alex Sanchez asanchez at ub.edu
Thu Nov 5 08:02:30 CET 2009

Hello Michal

> The trick is that your IDs in the biomaRt filter are neither transcripts
> nor compatible with "affy_raex_1_0_st_v1".
It explains the empty return

> Your IDs are Affy transcript clusters - a bit old way of defining features
> on the Affy Exon chips, abandoned as
> far as I know in most of the software, perhaps except GeneSpring 10 and
> NetAffx.

It is also used by the "fastuos" Partek Genomics Suite.

> One transcript cluster consists of several probesets, eg your first
> transcript cluster has 5 probesets (check with NetAffx).
> Then - those probeset IDs are compatible with your "affy_raex_1_0_st_v1"
> filter and will give you results.

> Btw, the job of translating rat exon probesets into genes and transcripts
> is done most quickly with exonmap,
> assuming that you install a local copy of X:MAP database...

The point is that, what we often do, is to use Gene Array or Exon chips to
study gene expression -not alternative splicing- so what I am looking for is
a flexible way to get the annotations for these chips a the transcript
cluster level.

Thanks for the help

Alex