[BioC] problem connecting to bioMart - NOT proxy error

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Nov 19 05:08:45 CET 2009

Hi Jenny,

On 11/18/09 2:25 PM, Jenny Drnevich wrote:
> I don't know if this is related, but I
> can't get http://www.biomart.org/ to come up on my browser, either,
> although I have no trouble with http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martview/.

Hmm, that sounds suspicious.  I can browse to that site without problem
and seem to be able to connect to both marts quickly (see below).  I
wonder if you can try connecting from a cafe to try a different network?

 > library("biomaRt")
 > system.time(ensembl <- useMart("ensembl"))
    user  system elapsed
   0.103   0.006   0.479
 >  system.time(ensembl <- useDataset("hsapiens_gene_ensembl",mart=ensembl))
Checking attributes ... ok
Checking filters ... ok
    user  system elapsed
   0.032   0.008   1.902

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 Under development (unstable) (--)
i386-apple-darwin10.0.0

locale:
[1] en_US.utf-8/en_US.utf-8/C/C/en_US.utf-8/en_US.utf-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] biomaRt_2.3.0

[1] RCurl_1.2-1 XML_2.6-0