[BioC] Can an R script be run through a cron job ?

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 20 15:12:41 CET 2009

Maura

Unfortunately you never showed us your code, despite repeated requests
to do so.  That makes it hard to help (and frankly, ignoring requests
for information from people trying to help you is extremely
counterproductive).

Your comments in your last email in the last thread indicates that you
have code that essentially do this

for(i in 1:100)
   getBM(...)

If this is true (which we would know if we can see the code), this is
why your script fail.  There are two problems with this (1) you are
not using the vectorized capabilities of R, but more important is (2)
you are sending many requests to Biomart and typically such behaviour
might mean your IP address will be banned temporarily.  They don't
like people hammering their services with repeated requests.

Instead you should create a query that essentially asks for all your
return objects in one request.  That should be easy to write, and will
be much faster.  You might think that processing the output is
slightly harder, but that is the thing to do (and with more R
experience, processing a big output is actually easier).

Regarding your actual question in this email, you seem to be very
confused regarding the meaning of a batch job.  This word has many
different interpretations (not related to R), so it is hard to google
for.  What you are specifically asking for has everything to do with
what operating system you are using (Windows, Linux, OS X) and nothing
to do with R.

Kasper