[BioC] Grid layout to data.frame with row & colums

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Nov 25 12:57:12 CET 2009

Hi Daniel,

What you show below is by row (in the original data.frame). If the order of the resulting vector of C and N can be by column-major order, then this will work:

a <- data.frame(matrix(sample(c("C","N"), 100, TRUE), ncol = 10))
b <- data.frame(expand.grid(seq_len(dim(a)[1]), seq_len(dim(a)[2])), unlist(a))

Best,

Jim

>>> Daniel Brewer <daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk> 11/25/09 6:16 AM >>>
Hello,

I have some tissue microarray(TMA) structure files that show the grid
layout of the probes/cores on the TMA e.g.

	1	2	3	4
1		C	C	N
2	N	C	C
3	C	C	C

I would like to convert this into a data.frame with each row being a
different core i.e.

Row	Column	Status
1	2	C
1	3	C
1	4	N
2	1	N
2	2	C
2	3	C
3	1	C
3	2	C
3	3	C

Does anyone know of an elegant way of doing this?

Thanks

Dan

Daniel Brewer, Ph.D.

Institute of Cancer Research
Molecular Carcinogenesis
MUCRC
15 Cotswold Road
Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 20 8722 4109

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the a...{{dropped:13}}