[BioC] Differentially Expressed Genes using Limma

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Sep 2 17:51:42 CEST 2009

Hi Marcos,

Marcos Pinho wrote:
>   Dear List,
> I have been trying to use limma to identify differentially expressed genes
> but have been finding some difilcuties in creating a basic model.matrix. and
> establishing a contrast. I usually have two different types of RNA in
> triplicates, a reference an an experimental and wish to see genes
> differentially expressed between the them. Following the limma manual my
> model.matrix would be:
>
> design <- model.matrix (~ -1 + factor (c (0,0,0,1,1,1)))
>
> Could it be done this way???

Yes, but you could use a simpler parameterization.

> In such case, what would be the best way to fit a contrast between my
> reference and experimental???

If you use the treatment contrasts parameterization, the second
coefficient will be the difference between the two sample types, so you
don't need a contrasts matrix.

design <- model.matrix(~ factor(rep(1:2, each = 3)))
fit <- lmFit(<data>, design)
fit2 <- eBayes(fit)
topTable(fit2, coef = 2)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!