[BioC] limma's implementation of VSN

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Wed Sep 2 22:08:50 CEST 2009

Dear Guido

You raise several interesting points.

* 'subtract' is spelled without an s between the b and the t in the
arguments to vsn2.

* the 'normalizeBetweenArrays' function calls the 'vsnMatrix' function
directly, which does not have the 'backgroundsubtract' argument. That
argument only exists for the 'NChannelSet' method of 'vsn2'. A
workaround for you would be something like:

   RG <- read.maimages(targets$FileName, source="agilent")
   RG$R = RG$R-RG$Rb;  RG$G = RG$G-RG$Gb;
   MA.vsn <- normalizeBetweenArrays(RG, method="vsn")

* the statement in the normalizeBetweenArrays man page regarding the
base used for the log function (2 or e) is outdated. In vsn2 (which is
now used here), the base is 2. I'll ask Gordon to fix this. Although e
is a much cooler number than 2, this fact never seems have to caught on
with non-mathematicians, and  I bowed in.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Best wishes
      Wolfgang