[BioC] EBImage package loading error due to configuration of gtk

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Thu Sep 3 18:21:34 CEST 2009

Dear Patrick

thank you for your feedback. Can you please provide the output
sessionInfo()?

Did you make sure to follow the instructions in Section 3 of the
vignette 'EBImage installation' and in particular on where to download
these add-on libraries and which versions to use?

           Best wishes
               Wolfgang

Patrick Zimmerman wrote:
> I have had a problem loading the EBImage package which seems to be tied to
> gtk.
>
> I am using Windows XP, and I have sucessfully installed gtk and
> Imagemagick.  Both programs run on their own.  I also (apparently) have
> successfully installed EBImage because the R terminal printed this message:
>
> package 'EBImage' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>     C:\Documents and Settings\plzimmerman\Local
> Settings\Temp\RtmpifIost\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
>
> the problem arises just when i attempt to load the library.  i use
> library(EBImage), and receive the following message, not from the R
> terminal, but from a dialog box.  Across the banner of the box, it reads:
> "100% downloaded: Rterm.exe - Unable To Locate Component".  Inside the box,
> it reads: "This application has failed to start because
> libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix
> this problem."
>
> I have gtk installed right on my C drive, and i have located the file in
> question.  It's address is: C:\gtk\bin\libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll.  This seems
> like an address that should not present any problem, i.e. no spaces or
> anything.  I have also checked to see if i had any path issues.  on my
> computer, i go to system properties - environment variables - system
> variables.  there is a variable named gtk whose value is C:\gtk\bin.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> Patrick Zimmerman
> USDA Forest Service STEP Employee
> Univ of MN School of Statistics Graduate Student
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Best wishes
      Wolfgang