[BioC] regarding web interface to R coding

Michael Dondrup Michael.Dondrup at bccs.uib.no
Tue Sep 8 13:40:09 CEST 2009

The choice of the appropriate language to build a user interface
depends on
- your skills in the programming languages
- your requirements, e.g. full blown AJAX web 2.0 with virtual desktop
in the browser behavior vs. single CGI page
-  availability of libraries for user-interfaces meeting these
requirements
I don't know about the first two points, maybe you should figure that
out.
but the UI doesn't come for free with any language solution and its
construction
might outweigh the implementing of the analysis.

IMHO there are much better languages with support for building web-
interfaces than R. The CGIwithR package could
still work, but it has not been updated since 2005, I haven't tried
it. Maybe the RApache package suggested by Steve is worth a try, too.

If using a different prog. language you always need a sort of language
binding such that you can call R functions in Perl, Python or Java
(e.g. RSPerl, rJava, RPy, or transfer via tmpfiles, system commands),
that doesn't give you the UI magically. Building small web-apps in
Perl is quite straight forward though, for bigger ones I would
(nowadays) try something else.