[BioC] package of predicting a continuous variable from more than one continuous predictor variables

Zeljko Debeljak zeljko.debeljak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:49:19 CEST 2009

Dear Shirley,

have you tried to use random forests for the described task?
Prediction quality is similar to SVM prediction quality while there is
(almost) no need for method parameters adjustment. Predefined values
of these parameters in the random forests case could be used for a
variety of different problems without adjustment, subseting etc.
Unfortunately, in SVM case you need to optimize/train at least 2-3
parameters. This task is time consuming, and it could lead to severe
overfitting problems. You could also try to use the backpropagation
neural networks but this problem is even more pronounced in this case.

Zeljko Debeljak, PhD
CROATIA