[BioC] regarding package ArrayExpress

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Sep 10 18:04:41 CEST 2009

Tim Rayner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This would work assuming the featureData is kept synchronised with the
> assayData. I guess the alternative would be to take mean or median for
> the duplicated reporters, which might be more useful in some cases.
> Perhaps that could be added as an option? I know quite a few
> custom-printed arrays had duplicated reporter identifiers such as
> these; it should be less of a problem for the commercial arrays.

This comes up fairly regularly when using ExpressionSets with custom
arrays. The rationale for having unique row names (and consequently
featureNames) is that non-unique names imply some kind of software
'decision', e.g., that reporters with the same id should be averaged, or
that their names should be mangled. There doesn't seem to be a
universally right answer, so in my own work I usually put duplicate
reporter names into a column of featureData, and leave the rows
un-named. I then have to think explicitly about what to do with the
duplicates, at each stage of the analysis where this is important.

The problem with this for ArrayExpress is that the appropriate column of
featureData is an ad-hoc convention ('column X of featureData') rather
than enforced by the software.

Martin