[BioC] question about topTable ranking of limma

Mayer, Claus-Dieter c.mayer at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 19:55:34 CEST 2009

Hi,

With only one group you can not speak of "differentially expressed" and testing, as that assumes that you have at least two different groups or conditions. The test that you have performed probably just compares gene expression to zero (a moderated one-sample t-test) and for that you would expect all genes to be significant.

What you (I am guessing) probably mean by "differentially expressed" is that you are interested to find genes that vary highly between your 4 replicates. To find those the best you can do is to rank the genes with respect to their variances/standard deviations. But you can't get a p-value for this, because (unless all values are identical) any gene will have a variance that is significantly higher than 0.

Best Wishes

Claus