[BioC] Different expression direction between limma microarray data analysis vs quantitative real time PCR result

Chao-Jen Wong cwon2 at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 21 19:29:51 CEST 2009

Hi, Jixin,

Is your qRT-PCR expression level represented by cycle number (Ct) for
limma analysis? If it is, then one thing I can think of is that you need
to interpret the results in the opposite way. Since lower Ct means
higher expression level, the resulting negative t or B values indicate
up-regulation of the genes, not down-regulation.  If I am wrong, please
correct me.

Regards,
Chao-Jen

jixinwang at tamu.edu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I use limma package to do microarray data analysis and most of real time PCR validation results are consistent with microarray data in terms of expression direction and statistical significance. However in one set of experiemnts, two DE genes are statistically significant in both of microarray and qRT-PCR result BUT had the different expression direction. (e.g. They are  down regulated in microarray result but real time PCR result showed that they are up regulated)? I don’t know why. Does this occur to anyone before? Many thanks.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Wang

Chao-Jen Wong
Program in Computational Biology