[BioC] limma technical replicates and biological replicates in same design

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Sep 23 00:44:12 CEST 2009

Dear Marcelo,

Only one of your biological replicates has technical replicates, which
isn't enough for duplicateCorrelation() to give a reliable estimate of the
technical correlation.

Therefore my suggestion is that you simply average the your first two
arrays to make one, then analyze your experiment as a simple replicated
design with three arrays.  Perhaps better still, examine the MA-plots of
the first two arrays, and discard the array which looks to be the noisier.
Or run arrayWeights() and discard which of the first two arrays has the
lower weight.

Best wishes
Gordon