[BioC] consensusString Function

Heidi Dvinge heidi at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Apr 6 22:56:41 CEST 2010

Hello Erik,

unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Biostrings package, so I can't
tell you why this doesn't work, but until someone else can answer, this
seems to be a work-around.

Apparently, consensusString doesn't handle Ns.

> test <- DNAStringSet(c("AANN","ACTG"))
> consensusString(test)
Error in .local(x, ...) :
  'threshold' must be a numeric in (0, 1/sum(rowSums(x) > 0)]

If there are no Ns things are okay though.

> test2 <- DNAStringSet(c("AAAA","ACTG"))
> consensusString(test2)
[1] "AMWR"

However, Ns seem acceptable if the consensus matrix is calculated first,
although they might result in ?s where no consensus could be found.

> test3	<- consensusMatrix(test)
> consensusString(test3)

HTH
\Heidi