[BioC] Help please: FCS binary to ascii text using bioconductor

Josef Spidlen jspidlen at bccrc.ca
Mon Apr 12 23:23:54 CEST 2010

Hi David,
the following chunk of code should do it:

FCS2CSV <- function(in.file, out.file) {
    packageExists <- require(flowCore)
    if(!packageExists) {
        stop( "Please install flowCore first.", call.=FALSE)
    }

    myFrame <- read.FCS(in.file, transformation=FALSE)
    write.csv(myFrame at exprs, file=out.file, row.names=FALSE)
}

The resulting CSV is basically an ASCII encoded table with column
headings corresponding to your FCS parameter names. Please note that
this way you are losing the information that is stored in the keywords
in the original FCS file. Let me know if you would like to extract these
as well. As an alternative to BioConductor, we also have some Java-based
command line tools that can do these conversions. Drop me an email off
line if you could use them.

Best regards,
Josef

--