[BioC] RNAseq expression analysis using DESeq: technical replicates, paired samples

Jinfeng Liu jinfengl at gene.com
Thu Apr 15 00:28:17 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I'm trying to use DESeq for RNAseq expression analysis. I haven't been able to

find information about how to deal with the following issues:

1) technical replicates
We have two biological samples, two libraries (of different insert size) were

prepared for each of them. so I have four lanes of data in total and I want to
do

differential expression between the two samples. It doesn't look quite right to

me to set up the condition vector as

conds <- c( "Sample1", "Sample1","Sample2","Sample2") since they are only

technical replicates, not biological. But I'm not sure what to do.

2) Paired samples
We have samples from three patients. For each patient, we have matched tumor and

adjacent normal samples. How should we set up the analysis to capture the pair

information?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jinfeng