[BioC] Basic question about Limma

Heidi Dvinge heidi at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 17:45:24 CEST 2010

On 28 Apr 2010, at 11:11, Guido Leoni wrote:

> Thank you Heidi and Neel
> I'll give you more details about my data:
> The experiments are performed with an affymetrix custom 3' array
> here is an example for one probeset :
> Normalized expression with gcRMA
>                                               control
> control        control       case          case           case
> <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-
> family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } -->
> 219070_s_at 679,15 734,98 777,32 667,32 507,76 645,37

So, you data is definitely not on a log2 scale, since it'd then be
from 0-16 (rather than 2^0-2^16). limma expects the MAList (or the
other inputs to lmFit) to contain log2 values, c.f. the documentation
for ?lmFit

     lmFit
(object,design=NULL,ndups=1,spacing=1,block=NULL,correlation,weights=NUL
L,method="ls",...)

Arguments:

   object: object of class ‘numeric’, ‘matrix’, ‘MAList’, ‘EList’,
           ‘marrayNorm’, ‘ExpressionSet’ or ‘PLMset’ containing
           log-ratios or log-values of expression for a series of
           microarrays

Without knowing exactly what you did, i.e. seeing your actual code,
I'm afraid this list can't give you any more specific help. But this
is the source of the unexpected behaviour you see for your log2 fold
changes.

HTH
\Heidi