[BioC] help: limma and changing gene results!

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Apr 29 18:46:26 CEST 2010

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Skaf wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I've been having some problems with consistency in my limma results for
> genes that are found to have significant differential transcript abundance.
>
> In a given example, I may have 4 different groups (a, b, c, and d) in an
> array set of 12.
>
> From here, I make a contrast matrix that has contrasts for a-b, a-c, and
> a-d.  Eventually, I output an eBaye's corrected contrast fit and I use
> decideTests from there to find out what genes are differentially expressed.
> My misunderstanding is that when I take away an entire group (such as
> removing all d's) and redo all steps in the limma analysis, I find that I
> end up with a different set of genes after using decideTests.  I am confused
> here, because I would not think that removing group 'd' from the analysis
> would have an effect on contrasts a-b and a-c.
>
> If anyone could even hint to me a reason as to why this is happening, it
> would be greatly appreciated.

It's because of how the denominator for your contrast is computed. The
denominator is computed using the intra-group variance for all the
groups in your study, not just the two groups being compared in the
contrast.

So if you remove one of the groups, you lose both degrees of freedom as
well as the contribution from the intra-group variance of that group.
Losing the degrees of freedom will reduce your power to detect
differences. Losing the contribution of the intra-group variance will
depend on how variable the group d data are compared to groups a-c.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.