[BioC] genenames in KEGG2heatmap, GO2heatmap

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Aug 9 17:32:56 CEST 2010

Hi Dave,

On 8/9/2010 11:03 AM, Dave Bridges wrote:
> Is there a way to display gene names as opposed to affymetrix identifiers on the y axis of a heatmap?

All you need to do is convert the Affy IDs to e.g., symbols first. Here
I assume you are using an HG-U133plus2 chip, and have an expressionSet
called 'eset'.

library(hgu133plus2.db)
symbs <- mget(featureNames(eset), hgu133plus2SYMBOL, ifnotfound = NA)

At this point you might want to check that you only get one symbol per
probeset ID (IIRC, you should).

table(sapply(symbs, length))

if all are length one, let's proceed. If not, you might want to do

symbs <- lapply(symbs, function(x) x[1]))

where we simply use the first symbol. At this point we can unlist.

symbs <- unlist(symbs)

Now, some of those Affy IDs might not have symbols, so you will have NA
values there. In that case, we will just use the Affy IDs. You probably
don't want to pollute your original expressionSet with these symbols, so
let's make a copy and use that.

mat <- eset
featureNames(mat) <- ifelse(!is.na(symbs), symbs, featureNames(mat))

et voila! Now just go ahead with your call to GO2heatmap() or whatever.

Best,

Jim

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

James W. MacDonald, M.S.