[BioC] Advise on setting up a non-specific filter for differential expression

Tobias Straub tstraub at med.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Aug 16 14:34:51 CEST 2010

Hi Lucia

I am not sure if I completely understand your problem, just want to mention that I routinely apply non-specific filtering based on MAS5 calls with a very good outcome (based on a prior-knowledge training set). I do not like so much the alternative approach - filtering based on variance or IQR -  as it jeopardizes my preferred way of defining responders by applying a threshold on the local false discovery rate.

Could you extend a bit on how you exactly filter based on MAS5 calls, how you define responders and non-responders in qPCR, how your "FDR disaster" exactly looks like.

What is your model system by the way, which arrays you use?

best regards
T.