[BioC] Advise on setting up a non-specific filter for differential expression

Tobias Straub tstraub at med.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Aug 17 11:31:28 CEST 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

just an experience. in some of my analyses applying variance filtering resulted in problems fitting N(0,1) to the limma t statistic. now that i had a quick look at your paper I get an idea that combining limma with the variance filter is anyway not a good idea.

the performance of mas call-based filtering/limma t as compared to variance filter/standard t is however (slightly) better as estimated by ROC curve analysis on my prior-knowledge data (3 arrays/condition). this is probably not unexpected?

anyway thanks for pointing to the paper, apparently a must-read before applying the nsFilter function.

best regards
Tobias