[BioC] get position information for different gene/transcript IDs

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Wed Aug 18 18:56:33 CEST 2010

Hi Shirley,

You can find this information in an organism package.  org.Hs.eg.db for
humans (for example).

What will be harder will be getting all the information from the mixed
bag of IDs that you describe.  But you can still retrieve it for each ID
type separately like this example for refseq IDs:

## So for refseq you can start by getting the entrez gene ID
library(org.Hs.eg.db)
a = c("NM_000014", "NM_000015", "foo")
gene_id = unlist2(mget(a, revmap(org.Hs.egREFSEQ), ifnotfound=NA))
gene_id = gene_id[!is.na(gene_id)]

## And then once you have the IDs, you can map them to a position
chrloc = toTable(org.Hs.egCHRLOC[gene_id])
chrlocend = toTable(org.Hs.egCHRLOCEND[gene_id])

## And now because we were careful to make sure that we always have an
entrez gene ID,
## you can just merge all the results together to make this easier to
look at:
merge(merge(data.frame(gene_id=gene_id, refseq=names(gene_id)), chrloc),
chrlocend)

## This process can then be repeated for other kinds of IDs etc:
b = c("Hs.100217", "Hs.100299")
gene_id = unlist2(mget(b, revmap(org.Hs.egUNIGENE), ifnotfound=NA))
gene_id = gene_id[!is.na(gene_id)]

chrloc = toTable(org.Hs.egCHRLOC[gene_id])
chrlocend = toTable(org.Hs.egCHRLOCEND[gene_id])
## etc.

Does that help?

  Marc