[BioC] Error: cannot allocate vector of size 649.8 Mb

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Aug 20 18:23:10 CEST 2010

On 08/20/2010 08:19 AM, Marco Ortiz wrote:
> * Hi All, ** ** I am new to the world of R and Bioconductor and I had
> the** following error when I try to read a fastaq file of 2 Gb****
> First I try to run it in Linux, but there i had an error that tell me
> *
>
> * <**
>
> Error: (dirPath, pattern, ...) cannot open file
>
> *
>
> * Then i try to run it in Windows and there i had this error*
>
> *
> *
>
> *
> *
>
> * > library(ShortRead)*
>
> *** > plantula <- readFastq("s6_plantula.fq", qualityType="SFastqQuality")*
>
> *** Error: cannot allocate vector of size 649.8 Mb*

This is likely limited memory problem; R is saying 'I allocated some
memory, and now I'm trying to allocate 649.8Mb more, and that additional
memory allocation fails'. Memory limits on 32-bit windows systems are
hard to get around; you're better using a 64-bit Windows or Linux
system. Your Linux problem seems really  straight-forward -- you haven't
specified the file path correctly. Your R likely has command completion, so

  readFastq("~/

and then use the tab key to complete the path.

Please include sessionInfo() when you're posting to the list; it makes
clear what software and hardware you're using.

Martin

--
Martin Morgan
1100 Fairview Ave. N.