[BioC] Can't normalize 300+ HuGene arrays in xps

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Fri Aug 27 21:05:46 CEST 2010

Dear Mike,

In case that your problem turns out to be a memory-related problem, you
can use rma(...,add.data=FALSE,..), which will prevent filling slot
"data" with the expression levels. You can then import all normalized
data or parts thereof using "export.expr()" or "root.expr()", as the
help files show.

Thus you could first run rma and then import the results in a separate step:

## rma
 > data.rma <- rma(data.xps, "tmpdt_dataRMA", background="antigenomic",
normalize=T, exonlevel=exonlevel,  add.data=FALSE, verbose = TRUE)

## import subset of trees:
ds <- export.expr(data.rma, treenames=c("name1.mdp","name3.mdp", etc),
treetype="mdp", varlist="fUnitName:fSymbol:fLevel", outfile="tmp.txt",
as.dataframe=TRUE)

## use subset of trees
 > sub.rma <- root.expr(scheme.test3, "tmpdt_dataRMA.root", "mdp",
c("name1.mdp", "name2", etc))
 > str(sub.rma)

Maybe after starting a new R-session, you are able to import all trees
with "treenames='*'".

Please let me know if this could solve your problem.

Best regards
Christian