[BioC] Note on xps and tRMA

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Dec 3 04:11:57 CET 2010

For what it's worth,

there are different ways to estimate the log-additive probe level
model of RMA.  The median polish estimator is known to have some
flaws, e.g. it can oscillate between two estimates.  The robust linear
model M-estimator has nice properties, also gives estimates of
standard errors.  Since several years, Ben Bolstad provides a very
solid and fast implementation in the preprocessCore package, which
also handles probe-by-probe missing values and probe-by-probe weights.
 See for instance

  help("rcModelPLM", package="preprocessCore")

I highly recommend to use that for estimating this PLM model instead
of median polish.

/Henrik