[BioC] HTqPCR question

Simon Melov smelov at buckinstitute.org
Wed Dec 1 21:36:58 CET 2010

I'm trying to use the package developed by Heidi Dvinge (HTqPCR), and I've a couple of basic questions. The package seems very nice, however, I'm using a high throughput real-time PCR system, the Biomark from Fluidigm, which can carry out upto 40,000 PCR's in a single run (approximately). Most of my runs use about 10,000 PCRs, with multiple technical replicates, and occasionally I use several plates if I'm assying many samples, and dozens of genes.

Typically, I've been using the geNorm approach for identifying potential normalizers in a suite of genes in any given biological paradigm, as a priori its always best to identify a gene which doesnt change in the question of interest (as opposed to using something like actin, and assuming it doesnt change). Is there a way of identifying the "best" normalizer in HTqPCR? Also, I'm having trouble specifying flags. I understand how to designate the appropriate column in the file as the flag column, however, I dont understand how to specify the pass/fail criteria. In the Biomarks output, each PCR reaction is specified as "Pass" or "Fail". I've been over the vignette for HTqPCR, and cant see how to define the "Faliure" criteria.

In addition, I'm a bit fuzzy on how HtQPCR handles technical reps as opposed to biological reps. There is some discussion of this in the vignette, but I'm having trouble following it.

Here are a few lines of our typical output from our Biomark machine in case this helps.

Chip Run Filename

X:\Real-time studies\Biomark\HK_Mar2010\ChipRun.bml

Application Version

2.0.2

Application Build

20080502.1530