[BioC] Combining Affymetrix miRNA samples from different arrays

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Dec 9 21:45:16 CET 2010

Hi Michal,

On 12/9/2010 12:41 PM, Michal Blazejczyk wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> We have a customer who has two datasets obtained using two Affymetrix
> miRNA arrays: miRNA-1_0 and miRNA-1_0_2xgain.  The data are supposed
> to be analyzed together but the problem is that the expression profiles
> from both arrays look very different.  Here's what I did so far:
>   - Normalized both datasets separately using APT.
>     I used APT because to my knowledge there is no CDF package for the
>     2xgain array in Bioconductor.

True, and there probably won't be one until April. I have built the cdf
package, and it is identical to the miRNA-1_0 package, so you can simply
change the cdfName of the AffyBatch you get with the 2xgain chips to
miRNA-1_0 and go from there.

>   - Then I applied an additional quantile normalization step using limma.
> The problem is that even with that, the datasets have very different
> profile patterns (when I do a PCA plot, 96% of the variance is explained
> by the difference in array types).

You won't be able to normalize together. There are things you can do,
however. The simplest thing would be to assume that the differences
between sample types are just location differences (rather than scale
differences), and fit a model with a batch effect. Or you can assume
scale differences as well, and convert to Z-scores first. Or you can go
the full meta-analysis route and just use the p-values from separate
analyses. It all depends on what your goals are, and what the data look
like.

But more complicated analyses like these lend themselves to help from a
local statistician rather than help via listserv.

Best,

Jim

> I was hoping that maybe someone here has encountered this type of a
> problem before, and would be willing to share his/her thoughts.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michal Blazejczyk
> FlexArray Lead Developer
> McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre
> http://genomequebec.mcgill.ca/FlexArray

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab