[BioC] question regarding genefilter package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Feb 2 20:28:57 CET 2010

Hi Whomever,

zrl wrote:
> Dear list,
> I am bit confused about the meaning of "var.cutoff" in function of
> "nsFilter". Since we calculate the IQR of each gene, how could the
> var.cutoff is a absolute value, 0.5.
> When I read the help document, it says "Note that by default the
> numerical-filter cutoff is interpreted as a quantile..." Does it mean
> we really compare the IQR with region of quantile 0 to quantile 0.5?
> Could someone help me clarify this? Thanks.

I'm not sure what you are asking, so I'll just take a stab at it.

The 'stock' setting of nsFilter takes each row of the data in your
ExpressionSet and computes the IQR for that row. It then calculates what
the median IQR is, and then removes the 50% of the data that have an IQR
below that value.

So if you change the var.cutoff to 0.2, you would remove the data with
an IQR below the first quintile. Or if you changed var.cutoff to 0.75,
you would remove the data with an IQR below the third quartile.

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician