[BioC] GSEA using Broad genesets

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Feb 10 21:05:34 CET 2010

On 02/10/2010 10:47 AM, zrl wrote:
> Thank you Martin, these are what I want. I like the second method to
> create incidence matrix.
> My last question is in GSEABase when we do this:
>
> "gsc <- GeneSetCollection(bcrneg_filt1, setType=KEGGCollection())"
>
> how does GSEABase collapse the affy probes to gene symbols?
> (max,mean,median or not at all)

Remember that the gene set is a collection of symbols; expression
doesn't have anything to do with its construction. GeneSetCollection()
uses featureNames(bcrneg_filt1), and then the map between affy probe ids
and KEGG pathways provided by the relevant Bioconductor annotation
package, e.g., hgu95av2.db, hgu95av2PATH. The issue that comes up is
when a probeset id maps to several pathways

> featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet[201,])
[1] "31440_at"
> hgu95av2PATH[[featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)[201]]]
 [1] "04310" "04520" "04916" "05200" "05210" "05213" "05215" "05216" "05217"
[10] "05221" "05412"

and then the probeset id 1200_at is assigned to the 11 sets representing
these different KEGG pathways.

> GeneSetCollection(sample.ExpressionSet[201,], setType=KEGGCollection())
GeneSetCollection
  names: 04310, 04520, ..., 05412 (11 total)
  unique identifiers: 31440_at (1 total)
  types in collection:
    geneIdType: AnnotationIdentifier (1 total)
    collectionType: KEGGCollection (1 total)

Martin