[BioC] DNA micro-array normalization

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Tue Feb 16 21:54:43 CET 2010

Avehna:

I'd try with lmFit / eBayes from limma, since the moderated t-test
typically provides better power for such small sample sizes. Also,
I'd look at the output of "meanSdPlot" (from the vsn package) and
"multidensity" or "multiecdf" (from the geneplotter package) to see
whether the data need (i) transformation and (ii) between-array
normalisation.  For both, "vsn2" from the vsn package is one possibility.

Michael:

one more :)  -- I guess fortune(117) and fortune(234) apply. Less opaquely,
- I don't know of a test that has power to reject Normality on a sample
of size 3 or 6.
- Normality of the data is a sufficient condition for some (important)
theoretical properties of the t-test, but it is not necessary for it to
provide good enough type I error control and power in applications.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

michael watson (IAH-C) scripsit 02/16/2010 09:34 PM:
> This is definitely processed data, and without access to the original data or a description of the analysis methodology, your options are limited.
>
> Personally, I'd do a test for normality on the "Signal" values, and if they turn out to be normal, I'd run a simple t-test (control vs treatment) on each gene and correct the p-values for multiple testing.
>
> Simple stuff, but it should work.

Best wishes
      Wolfgang

--