[BioC] help for mRNA decay rate

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:16:53 CET 2010

hi,

from the words "will codify" i understand you mean whether the mutations
introduce one or more stop codons in-frame so that the non-sense
mediated decay pathway would in principle degrade that mRNA. then, if
the goal is simply to see whether you have one of those stop codons
in-frame you may use the package Biostrings, run the following example:

library(Biostrings)

codingDNAwithStopInFrame <- "CATATTTGAACTCATGAACGTGAA"
codingDNAwithStopInFrame <- "GTATAAACTTGAGTACTTGCACTT"
mRNAwithStop <- transcribe(DNAString(codingDNAwithStopInFrame))
translated_mRNA <- as.character(translate(mRNAwithStop))

if (!is.na(match("*", unlist(strsplit(translated_mRNA, ""))))) {
  cat("stop codon in-frame!\n")
} else {
  cat("no stop codon in-frame!\n")
}

if your coding DNA includes the corresponding stop codon at the end of
the coding sequence you would have to adapt this code to avoid detecting
that "proper" stop codon as being in-frame.

here is my session information:

sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
base

other attached packages:
[1] Biostrings_2.14.8 IRanges_1.4.9

[1] Biobase_2.6.0