[BioC] limma and Rank Products: comparison of the number of results

Thomas Hampton thomas.h.hampton at dartmouth.edu
Thu Feb 18 17:35:59 CET 2010

Hello Aiden,

A quick question...

In your fine paper, you mention that the Empirical Bayes Statistic
returns the log odds that a gene is differentially expressed. This
says to me that
eBayes returns the probability of the alternative hypothesis given the
data.

Based on the F statistic, I would have thought  eBayes()
returns a p value of sorts, i.e., the probability of the data given
the null.

If eBayes really gives the probability of differential expression,
that would be great,
but that would require an a priori knowledge of differential
expression, the very thing
we are investigating with the array.

Best,

Tom