[BioC] Normalization question

Yong Li yong.li at zbsa.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 19 16:39:58 CET 2010

Dear list,

I have finished analyzing an Arabidopsis ATH1 dataset. The data consists
of 3 mutants and one wild-type from a tissue. I have used affy, limma
and gostats and things worked out fine. Now the biologist who provide
the data would like to compare our wild-type data to some other public
available Arabidopsis array data from two other tissues from wild-type
to find DEG. I have searched in GEO and indeed found some datasets (also
Affymetrix ATH1) and the CEL files are available. They also belong to
datasets consist of mutant and wild-type, or treatment and untreated
controls. My questions are:

1) Is it ok to just include the wild-type subset from a GEO dataset for
my further analysis?

2) Which normalization is suitable in this case to make them comparable
to our data? For our own data I used RMA.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Yong